Now that Toy Story 3 is out, it’s time to talk about my all time favorite ride at Disney; Toy Story Mania! at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. This attraction combines fun elements of my childhood with my competitive personality and makes me live for the one time in my bi-monthly trips I get to enjoy this ride.
When I enter this ride, I feel like I am walking into my toy closet as a child. As the line queue winds through the attraction on its way up to the beginning of the ride, I feel like I have been transported back in time. All of my favorites are here: Candy Land, Lincoln Logs, Chutes and Ladders, Mr. Potato Head, and even oversized, larger-than-life crayons. It is a kid’s (and adult’s) dream. The vibrant colors, the sheer joy of knowing I WILL beat my last score, and just enjoying the atmosphere with other people in line, puts me in a blissful place. Not every line at Disney does this for me; I can promise you that. I have, however; met some of the nicest people at this ride, and the line never seems as long as it says. With that said, there are a couple of rules to go by when going on Toy Story Mania! to make your experience the best it can be.
- First (and most importantly), go early in the day! I can’t stress this enough. Do not wait until later in the day to come over to Hollywood Studios thinking you will be able to hop right on and ride. This ride gets long very fast and stays long all day.
- Once you enter the park, go straight to this ride. Don’t even stop to Fast Pass Tower of Terror or Rock ‘n Rollercoaster. Rockin’s line moves quicker than any other and you will still be able to get a good time if you Fastpass it after Toy Story Mania!
- If you are thinking of Fastpassing this ride and waiting until later to ride it, you might want to reconsider. This ride has a tendency to break down occasionally and it may take 45 minutes or longer to reset. While resetting, they typically do not allow people to wait inside the building. This means that even with a Fastpass, you may still end up waiting for a while to ride.
- Do not make the mistake of thinking you are in line for the ride, only to find out 20 minutes later that you are actually in line for the Fastpass machine. Both lines can be long! You have to walk past the Fastpass booths to get to the ride line, which is to the left of the entrance as you are looking at the door.
- Accuracy vs. total score. If you are going for a high score, keep pulling the trigger (string). You will not be penalized for missed shots, so keep on shooting.
- Ride secrets for higher scores. Each of the arcade games has its own secret tips to release higher scoring targets. Here are a few of them.
Plate Toss. Shoot both ‘jumping’ plates to initiate a screen full of high-scoring jumping plates. Once the screen clears, four jumping plates will appear. Along with your partner, shoot these four plates. If successful, the mountain will lift to reveal a tank.
Alien Ring Toss. Put rings on all eight of the aliens in the center spaceship before they reappear. If you do, the spaceship will take off to reveal a super alien, worth a whole lot of points.
Woody’s Roundup. Shooting the bullseyes will make them blossom into a tree of targets. Shoot all of these quickly to initiate new high-value targets. Also, Shoot the small bat near the top to activate a new really high-value target.
After going on this ride, I think you will see why it is one of my favorite rides in all of Walt Disney World. Whether you are competitive like me or just there to sit back and enjoy the ride, I believe this ride will soon be in your list of top attractions too. Enjoy.
Discover the magic of Walt Disney World® Resorts and parks on a Walt Disney World® Family vacation, and share the joy of Mickey Mouse and company with your kids. Let Ears of Experience plan the perfect Disney trip for you and your loved ones. Contact us today at 1-877-80MOUSE. We look forward to sending you on the magical vacation of a lifetime.